Monday, February 9, 2015

FOOSH

A FOOSH is a fall on an outstretched hand to hand surgeons.

Today I stepped out of my apartment and fell. It wasn't really a classical FOOSH- I really hit my knee first. I don't know how I managed it, but I went down on my knee and then my leg bent and slid under me, kind of like a yoga pose, and then my upper body fell forward and I fell forward onto my hands. Thankfully, just a sore knee, no serious injuries.

But the adventure did not stop there. The world outside my door was covered in ice. My car was covered in ice. So was the driveway. Somehow I made it across the parking lot, chipped the ice off of my windshield, and started down the long driveway- only to find that I couldn't brake as I was entering the road- and there were cars coming. I had to veer off into a snow bank to stop. Fortunately I was able to back up from the snow bank, inch out onto the driveway, and turn onto the road- which was ice-free.

We had a lot of cancelled patients this morning because of the ice. I don't blame them.

No comments: