Saturday, October 15, 2016

I think I'll be writing again

I've been on an unsuccessful quest to find a new therapist after a break. I'm trying to find someone who takes my insurance, and that is no easy quest. The last therapist I talked to told me that no good therapist is in-network anymore. She may have a point- I have tried a few in-network therapists and it hasn't worked out. I tried to tell her that she should change her listing on Psychology Today which states she takes Aetna (but it only meant she would send the bill to Aetna if you are lucky enough to have out-of-network benefits, and then balance bill you for the rest). I no longer have out of network benefits, so that doesn't help me at all.

The last person I called never called me back. I think I have another couple of prospects, but again I don't know if I can trust the listings anymore. If it says they take my insurance, does it really mean that they do?

But maybe all of this means I am meant to do without. That therapy is a luxury, and I'd rather spend my money on other things. I could go to my hospital's clinic, but I have never had good luck at clinics. I'd really rather not. And I don't want my therapy records anywhere near my work- with everything electronic.

I am still so mad at my hospital for getting rid of out of network benefits. In almost every field of medicine it is easy to find a provider who takes my insurance- except for mental health. People with mental health issues are the most affected. But we don't matter. 50% of psychiatrists don't take insurance, and I am sure it is much higher in my state- it has one one the highest levels of doctors overall who do not take insurance.

Of course if insurance companies paid more for mental health, more mental health providers would take insurance. My last therapist looked into getting a contract with Aetna, but they would have paid half of what she normally charges.

So that is my vent for the day.



No comments: