Sunday, September 4, 2011

Abilify is Not Good for Me

I have been feeling like I have ADD on steroids recently- which is why I went off of Abilify the first time. I can't focus, I can't sit still, I have a lot of irrelevant and obsessive thoughts racing through my head. It is horrible. It took me a little while to realize that it was happening again.

So on Friday, I didn't take my morning 5mg dose. I have been so much better. So far, I am still taking my nighttime 5mg dose. I don't know what to do about that, only that I shouldn't go off it right away, if I do want to go off of it. Which I think I do.

I think that the Abilify does help with the depression, in some ways. But, at quite a price. If it makes me stupid- that is too high a price. Because I was starting to get depressed over how out of it I was feeling! Really depressed. Because I started feeling like I couldn't even function, and that is depressing.

Sometimes the problem is the medication.

I can't for the life of me understand why we are putting so many people on antipsychotics who are not psychotic. Now when I went on zyprexa, you could have probably made the case for it. But the Abilify was just added for depression. There were other things to do. There are other things to do. Abilify was just an easy thing to do, especially because I had a slightly agitated depression at the time, so there is always the fear of triggering mania. I had mentioned going back on wellbutrin to my doctor, but he suggested going back on abilify, and I agreed. Silly me. Next time my depression cries out for pharmacological intervention, I am going back on Wellbutrin. No more Abilify. One antipsychotic is enough.





No comments: