Saturday, November 12, 2016

I still can't believe it

I still am in shock that Trump won. I didn't think the polls could be so wrong. I didn't think so many women and non-whites would vote for him. I just didn't think he would win.

I know he spoke to the issue of the declining middle class- and he even had an explanation: globalization and immigration. But I think the bigger issue is technology, and no one is talking about that. What do we do as technology takes away our jobs? 

Trump's election makes me that much more a climate change doomer. China is the only hope to do anything about it now- they have the size and the economic clout to make an impact- plus they are not a democracy. And perhaps they could get America to follow. 

I don't know what is worse- if these climate change deniers are lying or that they really believe it. Don't you care about your children and grandchildren? Or perhaps you think it is too late- and maybe it is- and some people would rather not know if there is an asteroid heading towards the earth. What is it about America that has produced such a large number of climate change deniers? I suppose it is a type of "American exceptionalism," But the not the good kind.

Whatever our legacy to future generations- what they will care about most is how much of a habitable planet we have left them. How much arable land. How much fresh water. How much land that is not under water. How much land that is not too hot during certain times of year to survive exposed. How much land and water is not poisoned with chemicals or radiation.



















 

No comments: