Saturday, July 7, 2012

I must be stupid or something...

I remember my first job doing hand therapy. I had just been transferred from doing inpatient rehab to the outpatient clinic with no warning. I had no experience in hand therapy, I was worried.

My predecessor told me that it really wasn't that difficult. She learned everything that she needed to know in 1 year, and after that, she really wasn't learning anything more. She had been there for over 5 years.

Well, I have been doing hand therapy for a good bit over a year, and I still feel like I am learning something every day- whether it is a better way to make a splint, or greater appreciation for a  patient's pain, just something. It has been more than a year, and I am still learning. So was she that much smarter than me?

Then again, I was replacing her because she had been fired, so maybe I shouldn't use her as a good comparison.

When I feel like I am no longer learning it will be time to change jobs, as it was once before.

I tried something different with an elbow splint yesterday, it worked really well. It was a pretty cool splint if I do say so myself. I learned something. That makes it a good day.

If I still have things left to learn because I am stupid, then I am enjoying my stupidity. Life would be boring if I knew it all by now.

I remember when I had just come back from a continuing education course, and we were trying to explain where I was to my step-niece. And she said, in amazement, "do adults still have to learn?" If only she knew- that is the good part.

No comments: