Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The worst thing you will ever have to do as a hand therapist

Yesterday I had to do the worst thing you will ever do as a hand therapist- which is to call the hand surgeon and tell him that his patient's tendon repair has ruptured. It wasn't the first time, and it probably won't be the last time, but it is awful. Thankfully, it didn't happen in therapy- or it would have been an even worse phone call. I'm not sure why it happened this time. In the past, it has alway involved patients doing something that they were clearly not supposed to be doing (like taking off their splint). This time it is a mystery- it seems to have happened during sleep.

Other than that, my mood is doing a little better. I am back on track with my light therapy. I am also off the last bit of my klonopin- I haven't taken any in 2 days, I was able to sleep with Ambien alone. And when I woke up this morning, I felt so awake! I couldn't believe it. I was sure I had sleep apnea, but just couldn't bear the thought of sleeping with a mask on. But today I haven't been sleepy at all. 

I am still feeling somewhat grumpy- that's the best way to put it. But it is improved. I am trying to find gratitude in good moments- even if I am also having bad moments. And trying to feel grateful for having a job with a job salary (and dental insurance) during my bad paperwork moments.

My paperwork is getting better. The talking to I had from my boss really sunk in. But I think it also helped that I lowered the Zyprexa and got off of the klonopin. That is making it easier to focus. So it is a lot of things.

I will have a new niece very soon. My sister-in-law is due within a week. That is exciting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having just had 2 tendon repairs I can't imagine making that call because I know what a big thing the repairs are/were. The worst thing I ever had to do with a dr was refuse to treat someone until he saw her. He did this unusual technique rotator cuff repair and I think he cut a nerve b/c she lost hand function and had extreme muscle wasting in her forearm and hand and decreased sensation. So pretty clear. But I faxed and said I couldn't treat until he saw her, he faxed an order to continue treating, I faxed a refusal to do so without his seeing her, etc. I think he knew he had done this and didn't want to tell her, even though it was as obvious to her as it was to us. I think she finally called and made an appointment herself and he refused to see anything wrong. So we just did the best we could. It sucked; the whole reason she had the repair done was b/c she had to lift her husband onto the toilet and she came out worse than she went in. They wound up with 24 hour paid caregivers for him. Just wrong....

I have a couple of things that my dentist has suggested to help with the teeth. One is use baking soda toothpaste (I use Mentadent and I think there's another brand). I also chew baking soda gum when I notice dry mouth. It's from Amazon and is called Ecodent Between!. I also am supposed to use a prescription toothpaste daily. I have to get back into doing it. It has to stay on your teeth for 30 minutes and it's not that bad but because I gag easily sometimes I get gaggy and while I was healing I quit using it so I wouldn't be rushing to the sink while gagging and on crutches. That is called Prevident but I know it comes in other brands. That plus really detailed checks of my teeth have cut me back to 2 cavities in the last year which is really good for me. My teeth are kind of soft anyway and I grind my teeth and then the dry mouth; it's all bad. But so far we've stayed on top of it since it started getting a lot worse when my seroquel dose was maxed out. I have a filling in a few weeks and will as usual ask them to smooth out another tooth I've chipped grinding my teeth but a bite guard is just too much some days and it adds to the dry mouth which is bad.

I hope tomorrow is a good day for you.JMJ