Thursday, January 9, 2014

B12 or placebo? I think I'm doing better

Today was better. Still not great, but not like it has been. To what do I attribute this?

I have taken B12 in the past. I really should, because I take metformin due to the Zyprexa- and there is a lot of evidence now that metformin can really lead to B12 deficiency- which can have mood and cognitive effects.  But I somehow stopped, figuring that what is in my multi is enough.

My mood symptoms have been so extreme and so random that they have felt very biological. At times I am so depressed I think I will pass out. And then an hour later I am agitated and pacing. It makes no sense, and doesn't feel like rapid cycling- I am not manic.

So when I found my bottle of sublingual B12 under a pile of junk a few days ago it got me to thinking- and I have been megadosing on it since. And now I am starting to feel better. I don't know if it can work that fast, but I am just glad.

It would have been nice to get a B12 level before I started taking it. But that would involve calling doctors and a trip to the lab and putting off taking the vitamin when I couldn't wait another day. There was no way it was going to happen.

Today I still had a period of time when I felt depressed and extremely exhausted like I would collapse, but it lasted a much smaller portion of the day, and it only hit me once. Fortunately it was very light at work today. I even made some headway on paperwork.

I know tomorrow is not likely to be a walk in a park. I just hope the trend continues. It is almost the weekend- I have almost made it.

No comments: