Friday, January 17, 2014

Tears in Yoga

The best part of yoga for me is the end, lying on the mat with the lights turned down low, for those last few moments of peace before the the instructor rings the gong to call us back to life and end the class.

Today as I lay on the mat my mind started to wonder, as it always does. And I tried to pull it back to the moment. And then I was suddenly overcome with sadness and tears came to my eyes. I was thinking about not sending out Christmas gifts, and it just seemed like the metaphor for my life: letting people down because of the damn depression. It was sadness, but it was somehow good sadness, and I was able to experience it and embrace it instead of pushing it away.

And I lay with the sadness for a few moments, and then is seemed tolerable, and I brushed away the tears before we were dismissed. But I felt freer. I had my yoga glow going as I walked back to my car.

I'm home and reading my kindle. I just finished "The Unwinding," which was really excellent. Now I am reading a book about the case against geo-engineering. I'm on a non-fiction kick right now. I used to read a lot of science fiction- but current events serves the same purpose.

Tomorrow I am going on an all day bird watching trip that I signed up for. I am not a bird watcher, but I would like to become one. To get more in tune with nature- before we lose it all. My other interest is Astronomy- but the stars we can't touch, humanity isn't a part of their story. A stray comet or asteroid, however, could be a part of ours.

I am sure that there is life- intelligent life- on other planets. But I also think that, given the limits of relativity- it really doesn't matter. This distances are too far and can't be breached. So for all practical purposes we are alone.

No comments: