Friday, April 24, 2015

I guess I don't have to worry about getting addicted to opioids

I had my dental surgery yesterday and it was miserable. I have fewer teeth, bone grafts for future implants, and lots of sutures. I came home with a prescription for antibiotics and a narcotic- I think oxycodone plus ibuprofen.

I am sure I have taken narcotics in the past- I must have. Maybe after getting my appendix out. I just can't remember. I was a little hesitant to take this one because I didn't know if it would mess up my moods (although they were pretty messed up already). But then as the anesthetic wore off the pain got bad and I took it. And waited to see what it would do.

Very good for pain, but no euphoria. It just made me want to go to sleep. And I didn't want to sleep because I wanted to stay upright for a while to reduce swelling and to keep using the ice pack. Really, I was a little disappointed. I thought I'd get some kind of mood boost. But it is just as well. I'd rather not know if there is a drug out there that could make me feel better than anything I take and that I can't have.

Today the pain is much better- the dentist was right, yesterday was the worst day. I have been able to manage with just Aleve today.

I have to go back to get my sutures out in two weeks. I take out sutures as an OT- but never from anyone's mouth before! So I think I will let him do it.

That is actually one of the reasons I can't go too high on the lithium. I can't afford to have a tremor when I am taking out sutures or doing wound care. Not even a tiny one.

No comments: