Wednesday, April 29, 2015

So how do I tell my psychiatrist?

I am down on my lithium. I have been wanting to try going down for a little bit- I wondered if that was contributing to the numbness. And then I had a reason to go down- I was taking a lot of Naproxen after my dental surgery, and was worried about lithium toxicity. So on the weekend I decided to take 2 pills instead of 3, which is 600mg instead of 900mg. I wasn't sure if this was a temporary measure or if I would stay with it- but so far I have felt okay. In fact, maybe even better. Like a little less paralyzed.

So I think I am staying with the lower dose. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my psychiatrist... I remember when I lowered my Zyprexa on my own he seemed so shocked. And I got the "you are paying me for my advice, so you should probably take it" lecture- said with a smile and humor, but with some seriousness too.

It would be different if I saw him more frequently. But to expect things to stay the same for 3 months at a time- with no changes- that is a long time. And unless things are sufficiently bad I don't want to go more frequently. If I had out of network benefits, it might be different.

I don't think I want to change psychiatrists, though. I do like him, I think he is good- and I have had too many bad psychiatrists to leave a good one just because of insurance. Therapy is different- I have a new therapist who takes my insurance. I have a high deductible plan, but by the time I went to him I had met my deductible- so it is so nice just to pay my 30 percent co-pay. I can afford to go every week.



No comments: