Saturday, November 1, 2014

Denial

I thought I was expecting it, so I thought it wouldn't hurt so much. I was wrong. I got the denial letter in the mail today about the Provigil, and it seems I am not as strong as I thought. I still feel like it is a personal rejection, like the universe wanting me dead. I still find myself thinking I will never pay that much for a pill- even though I had decided that I would.

The letter talks about an appeal, and I don't even understand that. It talks about whether your insurance allows for level 1 or level 2 appeals (I have no idea). It gives a deadline for written appeals- but also a number to call- is that instead of or in addition to? And it doesn't mention what kind of documentation they might want.

I can't decide if it will make me too crazy to try to appeal. Or if I will feel even more depressed if I don't. I'm not optimistic about this- all the denial letter did was lay out their coverage criteria based on sleep apnea and fatigue that isn't resolved after faithful compliance with a CPAP machine.

I took some extra Zyprexa. I am trying to read a book on my kindle, 2084, which doesn't talk at all about health insurance. Just global warming. I was trying to find a movie that was a little more light-hearted on itunes that I wanted to watch, but couldn't really decide on anything.

My insurance paid for my Abilify when it was over $1000. But they won't pay for a $520 medication that is already generic and will be going down. Because of that FDA approval thing. But in psychiatry, so many meds are used off label. Even tegretol is not FDA approved for bipolar. And klonopin is approved as an anticonvulsant.


No comments: