Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Goodbye Mr. Spock

Leonard Nimoy died last week. I am sad to see him go. I watched Star Trek- the original Star Trek, growing up. My brother and I both wanted to be Vulcans. He went so far as to try taping his eyebrows up at night while he slept. I would have if I thought that would work.

Even back then I wanted what Vulcans have. I wanted to be logical, and not ruled by emotions. Sometimes I still want to be a Vulcan. Somehow Vulcans can still have curiosity and enough good motivators to keep them going. When I go numb I don't feel anything- I have no motivation to do anything- it just doesn't work for me. It would if I were a Vulcan.

But of course the real story is that the Vulcans work at their serenity. They acquire their logical abilities. They haven't bred all emotions out of themselves- they learn to control them. I missed this as a child, but it is an important lesson. Perhaps there is hope for me.

Or perhaps I am too old to become a Vulcan. Just as I am too old to become a Jedi knight...

Maybe I should settle for yoga and meditation.


No comments: