Thursday, March 5, 2015

I've turned into a (snow) whimp

I have lived in both Rochester and Buffalo. I have driven in blizzards. Today I called out because of the snow- afraid that I couldn't make it out of the very long driveway that my landlord has not yet plowed. Maybe I just didn't know to be afraid in Buffalo.

And then the incentive to in to work isn't there today. It used to be that on snow days we would get caught up on our paperwork with all the cancels that we had. They were useful days. Now we have a new manager and that is frowned upon. If we have too many cancels we are supposed to be "professional" and take PTO and go home. We do have the option of helping out in inpatient for a little bit- but after that is cleared up we are supposed to go home.

I wouldn't mind doing inpatient today, but I don't feel like risking getting stuck in my unplowed driveway to see someone else's patients. And my boss told me that she is at work and there is no need for me to come in- she can see however many of my patient who manage to make it in.

It would have been nice to have a paperwork day, with only a few patients to treat. I did four eval's yesterday. I didn't finish writing them up. This means that tomorrow night I will be there late- on my own time- writing them up. Before I go to my conference.

I did bring some discharges home to write up, so I guess I will have a little bit of a paperwork day- just on my own time. We are not supposed to do that- but everyone does. There is no way to finish all of your notes at work, they just don't give us much paperwork time. No one wants to stay at work for 10 hours, so charts come home. I don't know what will happen when we go electronic.

I'm really glad to have a day off- except that it wasn't the day off that I wanted. I wanted to go get a haircut. I wanted to go the Verizon store- I wanted to get the new iphone. The conference I am going to is now all electronic- and the schedule and handouts are now on an app- there are no printouts- so I thought I should get a phone with a bigger screen since I do not have a tablet. And I have been planning the get the new phone anyway- even got some birthday money for it. I just haven't been able to break down and pay the price.

But I don't think I'll have time to get the new phone before the weekend. Hopefully I will be able to get a haircut.

I am in a pretty good mood this morning. Yesterday my mood and energy were better for the first time in a while. I started to wonder if I had turned a corner- and not sure if it is seasons changing, the increase in Cytomel kicking in, or what. I hope this lasts.  The only problem is that I am now having trouble sleeping- and have had to take Benadryl on top of the Ambien. Benadryl seems to have less after-effects the next day than klonopin- so I am trying to avoid the klonopin. But if I had known I wasn't going to work today I wouldn't even have taken the Benadryl, I would have just tried waiting it out.

No comments: