Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sometimes I want to act like the mental patient that I am...

I had a bad day. And I almost wrote a nasty email to my health insurance company- I sure wanted to. I wanted to tell them that they should never send someone a health reminder to "get help taking your medication" when they have denied coverage for a medication to that person. It just adds insult to injury.

I don't know why flagged me for that message, but there it is, one of my health alerts, along with getting my vitamin D level tested and getting a living will.

I was going to go to Costco today to fill my Provigil. But then I realized that my prescription was over 30 days old, and they would fill it in my state because it is a controlled substance. So I have to call my doctor for a new prescription. I probably won't get there until next weekend- it is an hour drive with no traffic, and I just can't do it after work with rush hour. But Costco is less than half the cost of any other pharmacy.

I will run out before then- so I will split doses a couple of days. I guess I could ask my doctor to call in two day's worth to a local pharmacy, but I just don't want it to be that complicated. And I don't want to feel like that much of a drug addict. I can do this.

Last weekend I was too depressed to go. This weekend it is too late.

I actually did once email my insurance company before. That annual online health assessment that we do for $100 told me that I should eat a low sodium diet. I emailed them to tell them that they shouldn't give medical advice. I take lithium and I shouldn't change my sodium intake without discussing it with my doctor. Not surprisingly they never responded.

No comments: