Sunday, April 6, 2014

I don't want to do anything

I am not depressed, just feeling like I don't care, don't want to move, have no drive, etc. I hate feeling this way. I think that part of it is meds- and that is why I obsess so much about  them. Maybe also it is worse recently because I have been taking naproxen for my back this past week, and that can raise lithium levels. So maybe it is even worse than usual.

And then it can't help having a very long and very bad case of laryngitis (I still can't talk very much), and add to that a bad back.

I don't want to go drive to Costco to pick up my Provigil. If I cut a couple of my pills in half, I can stretch it out until next weekend. So that is what I am doing.

And watching TV- the new opiate of the masses. My new opiate. Because I wasn't watching my serious stuff like BookTV on C-Span2. No- I was watching 3 episodes of Game of Thrones because this weekend it was free on Comcast. It is good stuff- enough to make me consider getting HBO, but I really don't want to increase my cable bill. For one person, it is hard to justify.

But while I was watching Game of Thrones, I wasn't thinking about global warming, or the effects of technology on workforce participation, or peak oil, or the next pandemic. None of which I can do anything about anyway. Watching was just pure escapism.

But that is my view of my the future: your average computer will be smarter, your average human will be dumber, technology is not going to solve our ecological problems but it sure will do a great job of keeping us entertained.

No comments: