Friday, October 24, 2014

The ultimate insult

I saw a commercial today by CVS Health- which  discusses the fact that many Americans never take their prescription medications- and that they can help. I think with reminder programs.

No discussion of the fact that medications are ridiculously expensive. If your drug isn't covered, as in my case, it is really hard to take that drug, and no number of reminders will help. And even if your drug is covered- with these high deductible plans that we are increasingly pushed into- before I reach $2000 (and next year $2500), I am basically paying for my meds out of pocket. Only then do I start to pay copays.

And then of course narrow networks are in. So I, like many, am finding that next year the doctor who prescribes my meds isn't even covered. And finding another psychiatrist in my area who takes insurance can take months. If I want to change. So really, taking meds is a big financial commitment. And it means not doing other health promoting things like seeing my therapist every week and getting massages every month.

Will CVS give me a better deal with Provigil or Nuvigil?  I'd be more compliant.

I'm trying to figure out what I can afford to pay. It looks like I can get Nuvigil for a little under $500 a month, which is still less than 2 generic Provigil 200mg pills. They feel different, but I can't decide which I like better. Nuvigil goes generic in 2016, but if it is anything like Provigil its price won't fall anytime soon after that.


No comments: