Saturday, September 28, 2013

We are governed by idiots

I can't believe they are going to do it, they are going to shut down the government. And then, after that, they will probably refuse to raise the debt ceiling. The government doesn't work.

And of course if they default on the debt, there goes our low interest rates on our debt, and then we are really in trouble. I don' t know why I bother to put money into my 401K. Well, what else is there to do? Buy gold, I suppose.

Our biggest issue is climate change. I used to think it is peak oil, but climate change just might hit us first- and peak oil might not hit us in time to save us from severe climate change. But take your pick, these are two issues that rarely get talked about. Let alone funded.

We need geo-engineering. In the long run, we are going to have to do something. I'm not giving up my car- because it wouldn't do any good. Everyone else on this planet would have to as well. If my small sacrifice could save the earth, believe me, I would. But if America were to cut CO2 emissions 50% in 10 years, it would shift the power balance and China would now be economically stronger. It is game theory. That is why small nations can go green easier than big ones- they have others to protect them.

So either we need some environmental world dictator to tell everyone to stop CO2 emissions, or we have to give up on that course of action as the mainstay of preventing global warming. And go to geo-engineering. But that requires money, and that requires that the congress can actually accomplish something other than shutting down the government.

But geo-engineering requires the conservatives to admit the climate change is occurring. And it is something that most liberal environmentalists are against. So I don't know who would be for it.


No comments: