Sunday, July 6, 2014

Back home

I survived my both my trip to my mom and her family and my 10K on the 4th of July.

As was the case last year, I really didn't do any preparation for the 10K- in fact I was spending a lot of time in bed due to depression. But I was walking, not running, so I made it. And this year I was walking with my mom (she didn't get in last year). I wanted to stick with her, just in case. She is 73 and on Coumadin and just generally someone you worry about. It was frustrating at times- I am a fast walker, she is a slow walker. I had to slow myself down, even stop and wait at times. But we still made it to the finish line, which is what counts. My time was 15 minutes slower than last year.

My ankle held up better than last year- I used this "Jimmy Copper" compression sleeve the entire day of the race, not taking it off until the night. So no swelling. Some pain, and a little difficulty weight bearing later that day and the next day, but not as bad as in previous years.

The next day we went swimming, which I think also helped my ankle.

My family is another story. My mom is primarily taking care of her mother, with some help from her sister- but it is getting very hard because my grandmother is getting very difficult (well, she always was). And it is really taking a toll on my mother. Of course no one listens to my suggestions. And then it is bad between my mother and her sister. The whole household is toxic.

Both my cousins are having job issues right now- one just lost his job, the other working part time after losing a full time position. And I realized I am very lucky to be working.

But it was hard to see my mom doing so badly.

No comments: