Tuesday, July 8, 2014

There are things you do because you don't know how bad it is going to be

Last weekend we went to a public pool with a three-story high water slide. My aunt tried to get me to go with her- finally I went. I don't know why, I hate things like that. I guess I thought that it couldn't be that bad at a public pool, and that with all of the twists and turns it must slow you down before it pops you out at the end.

I was wrong. Perhaps because I am heavy and gravity likes me- or perhaps because I was lying down and didn't know to sit up to slow myself down- I raced down the slide gathering speed. I thought I could slow myself with my hands, but the tube was too slick with water so this didn't work. I felt so out of control. I was panicking. And then the next thing I knew, I was pushed out and under the water with what felt like a lot of force.

My aunt wanted me to do it again so that she could take a picture. No thank-you. Once was more than enough.

Now I am thinking of doing something else, and I am wondering if it is only because I don't know how bad it would be.

After doing the 10K, albeit as a walker, with no training, I got to thinking. What if I were to do something that required training? The next thing up is a half marathon. People do walk half-marathons- even marathons (although that takes so long I would want a lunch break!). You just have to find a race with a long cut-off time. Some of them will close the course before a walker's pace can finish.

So I am looking into that. I even found a website with training plans. Now I just have to find the right race to give me focus. And that is really what this is all about. Having a goal, having focus in my life, and hopefully achieving a goal.

No comments: