Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I fell for an infomercial- but who can resist Montel Williams?

I have postponed my backpacking trip until tomorrow, because I am having such a hard time getting organized and packed. It is overwhelming.

One of the things I am bringing- well, wearing as opposed to packing, is a Jimmie Copper ankle support. I saw a Jimmie Copper infomercial a couple of weeks ago, and decided to give it a try.

I have always had weak ankles. And then in high school I had a very serious right ankle sprain playing tennis. Back then they didn't do much for you if there was no fracture, just gave you crutches and told you to stay off of it for a few weeks. I have had trouble with it ever since.

And whenever i walk more than a couple of miles it hurts, swells up, and my foot starts to turn in. I'm sure there are ligaments that were torn, and when the muscles get too tired to compensate, the ligaments can't hold things in alignment.

When I walked the 10K this summer, I could hardly walk the next day, was limping for 3 days afterwards, and felt it for a good week. The only thing that saves me with backpacking is that I am wearing boots that go up to the ankle, and I use hiking poles. Still, it is not good.

I tried out the ankle sleeve this weekend on a 4 hour hike. It is not as supportive as I thought it would be- but a lot more comfortable. I wore it driving to the hike, during the hike, and then the rest of the day until I went to bed (I didn't think I could sleep with it on). I have to say, my ankle felt pretty good. I did have a little pain, but no swelling. And while I felt like my foot wanted to turn in a tiny bit, it really wasn't visibly doing this. I would say, a success.

Or maybe it is all placebo effect. I do want to believe this is going to work.

What I really need to do is to see a physical therapist to get a good home programs of ankle strengthening exercises. One of the PT's where I work said she would give me some exercises but she didn't. So I should break down and make a PT appointment.

But would't it be nice if my ankle sleeve were enough?

No comments: